10.9.13

Prismacolor Colored Pencils

You've asked to see my basic painting process so here's one example. 
I usually start off with a fairly detailed drawing, well after many thumbnail sketches and scribbles (which will never see the light of day! LOL ) Then with watercolors I create a solid foundation for the many layers of colored pencils that's applied on top. This base helps me be able to achieve the deep rich colors that I so love!


Samanta Vega Btw what kind of colored pencils? Love your work
Jane Starr Weils Art Prismacolor pencils. They are a lil on the waxy side but they are what I am familiar with.
Jane Starr Weils Art I don't usually use a blending solvent other than grabbing a lighter shade pencil to blend. Prisma color pencil also has a pencil that is labeled "blender" but mostly it's just to waxy so use a lighter shade as I said to blend. Plus when you work up many layers of these pencils, can almost blend them with your finger.
Samanta Vega thank you very much for sharing!! It's soo revealing, helpful and inspiring to learn from those whose work we admire so much. Behind a special art work there's always a special soul

Here's the full painting of "Flower Kisser"!

Jane Starr Weils Art on September 10, 2013.

Samanta Vega What numbers are the pencils you use for basic drawing? (I'm in Spain)
Jane Starr Weils Art Samanta, sometimes a 7B for the initial scribbling then an HB or something similar to hone the details.
Samanta Vega Ok! Thank you very much. I'll buy the 7B, and what number for the HB? Soo happy to discover such a generous soul behind your fey artwork 
Samanta Vega Jane Starr Weils Art, please please, one more question: what bruhes should I buy to start painting with watercolors? Thank youu! I'll let you know 
Jane Starr Weils Art As for brushes, I really don't have a particular brand...I tend to just go "pet" all the brushes (LOL) till one feels just right to me. I do prefer something with a long angled point I would say is a fave brush shape.

Here she is, Spring Solstice Witch! The final in this series of four!

Spring Solstice Witch breathes in the fresh fragrant spring air, a time when the earth blooms in it's renewal. She is surrounded by delicate apple blossoms, rabbits, tulips and daffodils as well as delicate lil robin eggs tucked in carefully crafted nests. On the standing stones is a symbol for life emerging from the earth and she has tucked under her hat a red Anemone in honor of Persephone.

Prints now available for her along with the other 3 solstice witches in my Etsy shop - janestarrweils -


Solstice Witches - set of all four prints by artist Jane Starr Weils.



Prismacolor Colored Pencils & Techniques

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario